Monday, April 25, 2011

disable fsck at boot time

Easy way to force or disable fsck at boot time with Debian?
Hi, I've got a Debian (etch) laptop using Ext3 and I'd like to avoid having fsck run at inconvenient times when booting (when I need it to boot quickly). I still want to make sure it is run periodically, but would like a way to either bypass the forced check or easily force the check at a convenient time by selecting a Grub menu item.

What would be the easiest way to do this? Is there already a boot option I can use?

I can tell you how to disable it at boot:
edit /etc/fstab the line that pertains to "/" patition, and change the last value to 0
However, it's not advised to do so.

Look at the man page on tune2fs

#tune2fs -c 0 -i 0d /dev/xxxx

How to avoid fsck prompts during the boot sequence?

Write 'FSCKFIX=yes' in /etc/default/rcS. You will not face the fsck problem from the next reboot onwards. However, if the disk is corrupted very badly, your presence may be required. I had done some kernel tweaks also for that. I will write about in subsequent tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment